Reasons for an Open Data Protection API
There is currently no standard communications protocol between the many library management entities that a typical enterprise may use.
These entities are:
- Software controlling automated tape libraries.
- Software managing backups and volume contents.
- Software used by off-site vendors.
- Software that aggregates and manages information between all of the above.
In creating an open standard, this allows software authors to more simply integrate software packages and ensure that software is “plug-and-play”.
Objectives of an Open Data Protection API
The Open Data Protection API has the following objectives:
- To enable the sharing of object information between tape libraries.
- To allow libraries to be interchanged.